Thursday, June 10, 2010

As soon as she entered her apartment, Wendy slumped into a chair and cried. “How can this happen to me?” She wondered. “You’ve been careless Wendy!” She reprimanded herself. How was she going to explain this to Michael? Would he be as supportive as he had been from the time they met? She laid down certain rules and she knew most guys would have difficulties going by those rules but Michael still stuck by her. Sometimes she wondered why he loved her that much. His friends had teased him and insulted him but he still stuck by her.
She cried throughout the night and did not know when sleep overtook her. She woke up abruptly by a sound outside her house. It was almost six in the morning. She was a bit hazy. She could not remember how she even fell asleep. Fifty missed calls were registered on her phone. “Oh my goodness! Who will need me so badly?” She thought. Then as she turned her head, she saw the result and it registered in her mind what had happened the night before. Just then, she heard the door bell ring. With the result in hand she went to the door. Seth stood in front of her looking dishevelled.
“Girl, what happened to you? Do you know I could not sleep because of you? Michael has been worried sick over you. What happened to our phone?”
“Seth! Please ask one question at a time!”
“Well, girl you will not get that from me! I want answers to all my questions at once! Do you have any idea how many times Michael has called you?”
“Fifty times.”
“What did you say?”
“I said fifty times. That is how many times Michael has called me.”
“So what are you going to do about that?”
“I was about to call him.”
“What is that in your hand?”
“It’s nothing which should concern you. As you can see I am doing well so why don’t you be on your way?”
“Well aren’t we a bit bitchy this morning? Anyway sorry to disappoint you dear but Michael threatened to disown me if you should leave him because of this incident.”
“Oh really? He did? Then you should look forward to your disowning ceremony.”
“What?”
“You should look forward to your disowning ceremony because I am going to help you get disowned. You should know by now that you are my number one enemy and me, yours. So don’t expect anything better from me.”
Seth jokingly made a hurtful face which got Wendy to smile and she picked her phone to call Michael. It was as if he knew she was dialling his number. Within seconds he was on the line.
“Hi honey. I have been trying to reach you. What happened?”
“Hi love. I was so tired that I did not even realise when I slept.”
“I thought you were mad at me for not honouring my promise.”
“Sweetie, you know me, you should know this is no cause for trouble with me. The way I see it, you had an urgent engagement and I even forgot about your promise so there is no one to be blamed.”
“Okay, I am glad you are well and that we still have a relationship.”
“Don’t be ridiculous love. This should not break our relationship. It is stronger than that. Do you want to talk with Seth? He said you’ll disown him if this incident makes me leave you.”
“Well I did say that.”
“As if you have anything he might want. Hahahaha!”
“Alright then we will talk later. We are wrapping up with the meeting so I should be in Accra within some few minutes then, I will take you some place that I discovered. But until then, bye.”
The line went dead. Wendy turned to Seth.
“Satisfied?
“Yes!”
“Well then I guess you will be leaving now because I have a couple of things I would like to do.”
“Hmm...If I didn’t know better, I would say you are driving me out of your house.
“Oh come on Seth, don’t be dramatic.”
“Me? Dramatic?”
“Yes! Listen, your brother said he will be here in some few minutes and you know how he is. If he gets here and I’m not done with whatever thing I am doing, he will not be happy with me. After what he’s been through yesterday when he thought I was angry with him, I don’t want to cause any squabble between us. At least things should be peaceful for today. Don’t you agree?”
“Well I do agree. Alright then, I will leave you to go on with your work. Knowing my brother, he’ll be here any minute.”
With these words, Seth stepped out of the house. As soon he left, Wendy slumped into the sofa and cried to her heart content. She had never in her life shed that much tears; not even when her father had died. That was when she had met Michael.

1 comment:

  1. Is it really love that is getting Seth to stick by her?

    ReplyDelete